Tuesday, April 1, 2014

YA Books to Look Forward to This Spring

(from kirkusreviews.com
by Leila Roy)


It’s time, yet again, to take a look at some of the upcoming books on my radar! As it’s a ridiculously long list—and only a fraction of an even more ridiculous, much longer list—let’s just jump right in!salvage

Dear Killer, by Katharine Ewell. A girl serial killer! Well, really, she’s an assassin. But she thinks of herself as a serial killer. While I’m sure it’ll get displayed with I Hunt Killers and I Am Not a Serial Killer, the plot sounds more in line with one of Lawrence Block’s Keller stories. And guess what? I LOVE LAWRENCE BLOCK’S KELLER STORIES.

Salvage, by Alexandra Duncan. Even though it has been saddled with one of those awful Drowned Girl Covers, this one looks fantastic: a space opera that deals with religion and gender and race, yay! (Also, Kirkus promises a strong sense of place, which I especially love.)

Sekret, by Lindsay Smith. I loved Dancer, Daughter, Traitor, Spy, so I’m looking forward to this one, which promises more Cold War espionage…but with PSYCHICS!

Noggin, by John Corey Whaley. A boy dies, his head is cryogenically frozen…and then he wakes up five years later with a new body. But while he’s been sleeping, everyone else has aged five years. It sounds totally unique and totally bananas, and while the Kirkus reviewer wasn’t entirely won over by it, I want to give it a whirl.

Buzz Kill, by Beth Fantaskey. A girl detective who bases her investigative technique on what she learned from Nancy Drew books? Yes, please.

The Chapel Wars, by Lindsey Leavitt. A girl inherits a Vegas wedding chapel from her grandfather. DOUBLE YES, PLEASE.

We Are the Goldens, by Dana Reinhardt. A simple story about the complexity of sibling relationships with a “truly inventive narrative structure”. time to danceI’m there.

A Time to Dance, by Padma Venkatraman. A dancer re-learns her art after her leg is amputated. Just click on through for the Kirkus review: Everything about the book sounds flat-out gorgeous.

Sequels! I’m looking forward to Suzanne Young’s follow-up to The Program: The Treatment. I’m dying to read Raging Star, the final book in Moira Young’s Dust Lands trilogy. I also want to read While We Run, by Karen Healey, and Bad Luck Girl, by Sarah Zettel, but I’ll have to read When We Wake and Golden Girl first!

Books I want to read purely based on the titles: The Museum of Intangible Things, by Wendy Wunder, and The Vigilante Poets of Selwyn Academy, by Kate Hattemer. Vigilante Poets! I swoon!

They write it, I read it. Oh, look! A new book by Rachel Hawkins. I will read it, because it’s A NEW BOOK BY RACHEL HAWKINS. As I’ve said before, I wish that there was more paranormal comedy out there. I will also read anything by E. Lockhart, Geoff Herbach, Gail Giles, and Michael Northrop, so add We Were Liars, Fat Boy vs. the Cheerleaders, Girls Like Us, and Surrounded by Sharks to the list.

Clearly, it’s going to be a busy spring! What books are you excited about?

If she isn't writing Bookshelves of Doom or running the show at her local library, Leila Roy might be making stuff for her Etsy shop while rewatching Veronica Mars, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Babylon 5, Black Books or Twin Peaks. Well, that or she’s hanging out on Twitter. Or both.

No comments:

Post a Comment