Saturday, April 19, 2014

National Poetry Month Challenge - Day 9


Describe the visual you get when someone say poetry.

I get two. And I get a little more than visual.

The first is visions of the late 1800s early 1900s. The fashion, the items, the people. I see flowers. I feel a gentle breeze. I envision the sunlight coming through a bay window. I picture a big Victorian house. I just feel happy.

The second part is a man on stage who is very emphatic. He is doing beat poetry or poetry slam. The bar he is in is smokey and there is some quiet conversation or murmerring. People are drinking hip drinks and really getting into the feelings of the poetry. In the back, someone is drawing art for the poetry that is being said. It is quick art but it is good art. Everyone is having a great night.

Those are the two things that come to mind when someone mentions poetry. When I see a sign by my house where they do do poetry reading, it is a building from the 1700s. I have been inside so I imagine the poetry reading out on the lawn and I imagine a summer night and a lot of kind of preppie people and it is very quiet except for the breeze. People are on blankets. I have to go to one of those this year.

What do you think of when you hear the word poetry?

Come back for tomorrow's Challenge!



Mismatched Bookends: Click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment