Sunday, January 26, 2014

CONFESSIONS OF A RECKLESS LIBRARY BORROWER

(from bustle.com
by Molly Labell)



Last Thursday evening, I pulled on my winter boots and parka. I had to run an errand I’d been dreading. I had to return two overdue library books.

When I got to the library, there were other people at the circulation desk, and I wanted a certain amount of privacy when my late fees would be discovered. I stalled by swinging through by the DVD section, emerging with season 5 of ER (Clooney!) some choice Meryl Streep titles. Then, I approached the circulation desk.

“I’d like to take these out, please” I said to the woman behind the desk. “I’d also like to return these,” I said, as I slipped Curtis Sittenfeld’s Sisterland and D.J. Waldie’s Holy Land out of my purse. Quietly, I added “I believe they’re a little late.”

The librarian took the books I was returning and scanned them. She looked at me over the top of her glasses, which is a really intimidating, mean thing that only people with bad vision get to do. “You know these are 26 days late, right?”

Oh, I knew. I knew. I proudly handed her a twenty. She didn’t have enough small bills to break it; we agreed I’d pay at a later date.

I’ve always played it fast and loose with borrowing books. In elementary school, “Library” was my favorite part of the week. I remember walking into the small, wood paneled room during the 2nd grade and seeing the weekly display that Mrs. Abrams arranged; I remember thinking (greedily, not dreamily): “All these books could be mine.”

Growing up, I loved books so much — all of my Ramona Quimbys and Anasatasia Krupniks are covered with food because I refused to eat dinner without a book in my lap. It didn’t seem to matter how often I’d read them; I’d start them again as soon as I’d finished the last page. So, I began habitually renewing the books I took out from the library — it just never felt like I was done with them. Even if I didn’t reread them, it comforted me to know I had the option of pulling it out of my bookcase. During the 3rd grade, I think I renewed Sarah Morton’s Day: A Day in the Life of a Pilgrim Girl at each due date until Mrs. Abrams kindly suggested I give the other children a chance to read it. But I didn’t want the other children to have a chance! While I didn’t take it out again, I still picked it up and held it during every meeting. If I couldn’t have it, no one could.

By the time I hit the 9th grade, I felt like my love of literature so warranted free books that I totally disregarded the laws of the library. I went through a dark period during which I thought I was a beat poet; it was hard to rebel against parents who were totally supportive and didn’t enforce any sort of curfew, which meant I had to find other ways to let people know that I was cool and saw through the bullshit.

Step one was to cut thumbholes into my sweatshirt sleeves, step two was to wear a soda tab on a chain around my neck, and step three was to make sure people saw me reading Jack Kerouac. But you can’t really enjoy Kerouac’s spirit through playing by the rules, I thought. So I threw my middle fingers up, said “Fuck off, establishment!” and stole Visions of Cody from my high school library. I still have it, I think. I have yet to read it. I have no idea what it’s about. I don’t even really like Jack Kerouac that much. Is it good? Anyone know?

I’m still terrible with adhering to due dates, though I swear I’d never consider library theft again. Sometimes I don’t feel done with the books I’ve taken out, but I can mostly blame my delinquency on sloth. Even with my limited funds, I’m willing to forfeit 15 cents a day.

But it’s not just due dates that I can’t, well, do. I’m a polite, considerate person, but when it comes to respecting public property, I’m a total monster. I dog-ear books. I’ve lightly (I swear!) underlined choice sentences. I am constantly wracked with guilt: Some of my friends are librarians. A cousin of mine is the director of the American Library Association. I can’t pinpoint the reason for my total disregard, exactly; maybe this is my terrible sense of Millennial entitlement in action.

Whatever the explanation, it just means I still owe $3.90 to the Brookline Public Library. Sorry about that. Sort of.


image: Ipoh Kia/flickr

2 comments:

  1. As I'm sitting here reading this, I'm thinking about the book that's sitting on my counter - several days past due. The day it was due, it was snowing and it was worth the ten cents to just hold onto it. And then ... um ... I just never managed to make it to the library. Oops!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Nicole! Well I am glad that jogged your memory lol! It is worth the 10c to be safe. I just avoid it altogether and enter contests on goodreads and booklikes. I have over 80 books I have won. Now if I could apply that magic to the lottery we would be in business! Well make suer you return it. You do not want the library police after you. Do you watch Married with Children? Remember when Al's book was 20 years overdue? That was a funny one.

    ReplyDelete