Sunday, January 19, 2014

Book 1 of 2014: The Legend of Zelda and Theology

(from ign.com
by kariyanine.cs)


I finish a lot of games, read a lot of books, and watch a lot of movies over the course of a year. I keep a list of them all but sometimes by the end of the year, I've forgotten what my closing thoughts on each were. With that in mind I've decided to throw down those thoughts on the games/books/films I finish this year via my personal blogs (including this one). This entry belongs to the first book I finished this year, The Legend of Zelda and Theology edited by Jonny Walls.

Date Finished: January 10, 2014

The Legend of Zelda and Theology offers some interesting thoughts on finding religious meaning in the various games of the franchise, even if the franchise was never intended as such. A handful of essays deliver on their promise to make one see aspects of the games in a different light, while a handful of others go on fascinating tangents dealing with human nature. Where the book falls apart a bit for me is its primary focus on the theology of Christianity. While I understand that it makes for a more cohesive theme, as a reader, I felt its focus makes some of the essays seem a bit repetitive and less impactful than intended. I'm not against a Christian viewpoint but I think something more diverse would have made for a more interesting read.

Recommendation: For fans of Zelda looking for a bit more out of the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment