Monday, January 27, 2014

Pamela Palmer Finds it Hard to Say Goodbye to Beloved Characters

(from usatoday.com
by Joyce Lamb)



Pamela Palmer, author of the fabulous Feral Warriors series, joins us to celebrate tomorrow's (Jan. 28) release of book eight in the series, Wulfe Untamed.

Pamela: In the summer of 2009, I launched a new paranormal romance series, the Feral Warriors, about a band of shape-shifting males, each of whom could change into his own, unique animal at will. Book one, Desire Untamed, launched the Ferals' battle to keep the Daemons from escaping their magical prison and unleashing hell on earth. Four and a half years later, the story reaches its long-awaited, climactic ending in Wulfe Untamed, book eight in the series.

Much has happened in the Feral world since the start. One Feral lost his life, missing Feral animals have returned, friends have become enemies, and enemies, allies. The Mage, the evil ones who are determined to free the Daemons, have created havoc at every turn as they've fought to annihilate the Ferals, the only ones standing in their way. And, one by one, the Ferals have found their mates, the women who make them weak with love and stronger than they've ever been before.

As the end of the series approaches, only two of the original Ferals are left unmated — Vhyper, who lost his soul and found it again, but lost himself in the process. And Wulfe, the fierce, badly scarred warrior with the gentle heart who fell for a human woman locked in the Ferals' prison. Natalie Cash isn't for him, Wulfe knows that. But he hasn't been able to stop thinking about her, or stop worrying about her since he took her memories and sent her safely back to her fiancĂ©. Now she's become a target of the Mage, and Wulfe will risk anything to protect her.

When I started writing book eight, I didn't realize it was the last in the series. I didn't even realize it was Wulfe's book. I thought it was Grizz's. I always knew how the series would end, but I was never sure how many books it would take to get there. Like many writers, I have less control over my creations than I like to pretend. The story takes off, the characters take over, and suddenly I'm flying behind like a kite on a string, holding on to the reins for dear life. That's what happened with Wulfe Untamed. I looked up one day, stunned to find the climax barreling down on the Ferals. Wulfe, in that fiercely quiet way of his, stepped into its path and claimed the book for his own. I can be as stubborn as any Feral, and briefly considered arguing with him about it, but he was right. The climax was upon us, there was no stopping it, and he was the one who had to lead the Ferals into this final battle. I stepped aside, which was a far wiser choice than trying to argue with a 7-foot-tall wolf shifter with shoulders the width of a Mazda and hands the size of dinner plates. "You want it, dude? You got it."

What can readers expect from this final book in the series? RT Book Reviews says, "Palmer brings it home in the thrilling conclusion to her dark and sensual Feral Warriors series. A worthy and satisfying finale that fans will cheer for." I admit it, I love a happy ending and I suspect you do, too. The guy has to get the girl (or the girl gets her guy), the heroes must win, and the villains have to be defeated. All that will happen, never fear. Just not necessarily in the way you suspect (she says with a smile).

I have very mixed emotions about finishing this series. Yes, it feels wonderful and satisfying, but also more than a little sad, because I truly adore my boys and the women they've fallen in love with. And I'm going to miss spending my days at Feral House. The good news is, I still have plenty of story ideas for the Feral world and when my writing schedule permits, I fully intend to revisit it. At the very least, Vhyper and Grizz need their stories told. But books take time, and I have others demanding my attention right now. The Ferals are going to have to wait, which is fine. They deserve a breather after all they've been through, a little hard-won downtime with their wives before I stir things up again. But they'll be ready for action soon enough. I imagine immortality would get pretty boring without a villain to battle every now and again. Especially for a band of shape-shifting warriors.

Here's the blurb about Wulfe Untamed (courtesy of Avon Books):

They are called Feral Warriors—an elite band of immortals who can change shape at will. Sworn to rid the world of evil, consumed by sorcery and seduction, their wild natures are primed for release ...

The most enigmatic and tortured of the Feral Warriors, Wulfe is haunted by the quiet beauty of a human woman who no longer remembers him. Once a captive of both the Mage and the Ferals, Natalie stole a piece of his heart before he took her memories and sent her safely back to her fiancé. But now the Mage are threatening her again, and Wulfe will risk anything to protect her.

Natalie Cash is stunned when she's saved by a wolf who shifts suddenly into a splendidly built, if badly scarred, man, a man with the kindest eyes. Swept into a world of intrigue and danger beyond her comprehension, she turns to the powerful Wulfe, finding a passion she'd only dreamed of. But when time runs out, they must trust one another and surrender to a wild, untamed love.

Find out more about Pamela and her books at www.pamelapalmer.net.

No comments:

Post a Comment