Thursday, February 6, 2014

Romance Authors Rec Reads To Get Your Blood Moving

(from usatoday.com
by Joyce Lamb)


Something to look forward to ...(Photo: Getty Images/iStockphoto)

So it's still cold outside. Don't know if you've noticed. Luckily, our favorite romance authors have some more suggested reads to keep you warm and toasty …

Toni Blake, author of Wildest Dreams

The weather outside has been frightful, but an old-school romance is beyond delightful, and that's how I've been warming myself up this crazy winter, re-reading an old and very beloved favorite, Beyond Sunrise by Candice Proctor. Set on an untamed Polynesian island, this rollicking historical features an arrogant, swashbuckling-type hero acting as guide to a bluestocking travel writer who craves adventure — until she really gets some. How fun is that? And ah, the sizzling passion! It's good stuff, I promise. The first time I read this book, I was soaking up the sun on a lounge chair overlooking Hapuna Beach in Hawaii, and this book comes pretty close to taking me back there. And since I'm writing my own beach books right now (The Coral Cove series), I definitely need to stay in a beachy state of mind. Trust me when I say Beyond Sunrise will heat up your Kindle on a cold winter's night!

Kristina Wright, author of XOXO: Sweet and Sexy Romance

We got almost 10 inches of snow in southeast Virginia last week, so I didn't even venture out of the house for three days! When I'm not baking something or entertaining my two preschoolers, I'm curled up by the fire with a cup of coffee and a book. This kind of cold weather calls for something a little ... ah ... steamy ... (hey, a hot fire and coffee can only do so much!). This month, I'm reading Sommer Marsden's erotically charged romance Restless Spirit, and heroine Tuesday Cane has her hands full with three men and some mysterious goings-on at the lake house she has inherited. I'm also reading The Delicious Torment by Alison Tyler. It's the second novel in a series and the first one, Dark Secret Love, was so good I devoured it in two days! I can't wait for the third! Next up, I'm going to read Lauren Dane's Lush, which has one of the most delicious covers I've ever seen. With all these sexy novels on my bedside table, I'm sure I'll stay warm through the winter!

Duffy Brown, author of Pearls and Poison

Rereading One for the Money by Janet Evanovich. Love meeting all the fun characters for the first time ... Joe, Ranger, Grandma ... and of course Stephanie Plum. She's my kind of hero, thrown into finding a killer because she needs the money and of course it's personal. Nothing more fun than the wrong boyfriend who's probably the right boyfriend, talking Jersey smack and a dead body.

Magan Vernon, author of The Only series and The Forever Wild series

Will someone please pay off Mother Nature so that my kids can go outside and play? OK ... I guess that's not happening anytime soon. The problem with trying to read and keep my kids entertained in this weather is that I only get so much time to get my fix in. So to get my fix I'm snacking on serialized novels like Dawn Pendleton's BFF series. With only 50 pages in each one, I can read them during one of my kid's power naps and then try and sneak the next one in before bed. They're a nice guilty pleasure to help keep me warm (and sane) while I'm snowed in.

Thanks to HEA's favorite authors for helping us all get a little (or a lot!) warmer! Check out the previous posts with even more fun recs here, here, here, here and here.


HEA contributor and curator Joyce Lamb has 25 years of journalism experience and eight published romantic suspense novels, three of which have been RITA finalists. You can reach her at jlamb@usatoday.com and follow her on Twitter (@JoyceLamb). You can also follow HEA on Twitter (@HEAusatoday).

No comments:

Post a Comment