Friday, April 11, 2014

These 'Grand Adventures' Benefit Loving Couple Eric and TJ

(from usatoday.com
by Jessie Potts)


(Photo: Dreamspinner Press)


At GRL 2013, fans and authors alike got to witness the marriage proposal of Eric Arvin and TJ Klune. We got to see the love, the strength, and all of us felt blessed. When I heard about the Grand Adventures anthology, not only was I eager to read shorts from my favorite authors, but to spread the word of what LGBT authors are all about … love and acceptance!

Here's the blurb about Grand Adventures (courtesy of Dreamspinner Press):

On Sept. 1, 2011, TJ Klune wrote, "... it's not about the ending, it's about the journey ..." in a review of Eric Arvin's Woke Up in a Strange Place. With those words, two men began a journey of love and invited us to ride along. TJ and Eric have shared so much with us: their wonderful books, their smiles, their humor, their lives, and their inspiring devotion to each other. In December 2013, their journey took a detour when Eric was taken to the emergency room. He survived the surgery to remove a cavernous hemangioma from his brain stem, but the challenges TJ and Eric face are far from over.

The authors in this anthology donated their talent as a way to support Eric's continued recovery, to help bring strength to TJ, and to show both of them just how much love surrounds them. Grand Adventures is a diverse range of stories about the journey of love. We're going on some grand adventures for a great cause. Thank you for joining us.

One hundred percent of the income from this volume goes directly to TJ and Eric.

And now we get to hear from the authors involved in the anthology …

John Amory, author of An Unexpected Thing in the anthology

What my story is about: Jamie and Ben find more answers than just, "Are we heading in the right direction?" when they get lost in Oregon.

Story in the antho most looking forward to: Brandon Witt's Prologue. His Men of Myth trilogy was intelligent and creative and emotional, so I'm looking forward to seeing what he does in a much shorter format.

Favorite TJ or Eric novel/novella: My story in the anthology was inspired by TJ's Into This River I Drown, which was the first M/M book I ever read and remains one of my all-time favorites as well.

J.E. Birk, author of The Twinkie Ignition

What it's about: The Twinkie Ignition is about adapting to new relationships, learning to trust others, and the importance of fire extinguishers.

Story in the antho most looking forward to: I'm especially excited for the ones by Mia Kerick, Amy Lane, and John Goode, just because I love their writing.

Favorite TJ or Eric novel/novella: I'm extremely loyal to the Kid ... I'll never give up my meat for him, though.

Sophie Bonaste, author of When Friendship Becomes More

What it's about: When Friendship Becomes More is about what happens when Jamie discovers his best friend, Roy, has been harboring a crush on him for four years.

Story in the antho most looking forward to: I'm looking forward to Holding Court by Cardeno C. because I am a huge fan of everything Cardeno C.

Favorite TJ or Eric novel/novella: My favorite TJ/Eric novel is probably TJ's Tell Me It's Real, but that's a tough decision. There are so many good ones!

Sue Brown, author of Isle of Waiting

What it's about: Paul's being an idiot.

Story in the antho most looking forward to: All of them, to be honest. There are some of my favourite authors and some I've never read.

Favorite TJ or Eric novel/novella: Galley Proof. The relationships with the different editors made me snicker.

KC Burn, author of The Jogger

What it's about: The Jogger is about an agoraphobic man who has to somehow find the strength to leave his home to save the most important person in his life.

Story in the antho most looking forward to: Tough to choose — I'm looking forward to them all! But if I had to choose, probably Cops and Comix by Rhys Ford.

Favorite TJ or Eric novel/novella: My favourite is probably Eric's Galley Proof.

Cardeno C., author of Holding Court

What it's about: My short story is about a childhood crush fulfilled — twice.

Story in the antho most looking forward to: I am very excited about Cops and Comix by Rhys Ford.

Favorite TJ or Eric novel/novella: Simple Men by Eric Arvin was one of the first books I read in our genre and I adore it.

Mary Calmes, author of For Dear Life

What it's about: A second chance at love

Story in the antho most looking forward to: All of them.

Favorite TJ or Eric novel/novella: Simple Men by Eric Arvin, Into This River I Drown by TJ Klune.

Ellis Carrington, author of Under the Full Moon

What it's about: My story, Under the Full Moon, is an old-school paranormal about inter-species love between a vampire and a werewolf from opposing clans.

Story in the antho most looking forward to: For Dear Life by Mary Calmes.

Favorite TJ or Eric novel/novella: I loved Simple Men and Another Enchanted April by Eric. I haven't read any of TJ's work, but he's hilarious in person.

Shae Connor, author of Stripped

What it's about: A dancer and a customer in a classy Manhattan strip club take their mutual attraction to bed — and maybe beyond.

Story in the antho most looking forward to: It's so hard to choose when the author lineup is this great. I'll go with When Friendship Becomes More by Sophie Bonaste. I'm a sucker for a good friends-to-lovers story!

Favorite TJ or Eric novel/novella: I adore Eric's Another Enchanted April. It's a sweet and funny story, full of lush descriptions, and like many of his stories, it carries just a hint of magic.

C.C. Dado, author of That Place Across the Hall

What it's about: My story is about a guy who can't see past his string of nameless hook-ups to the possibilities across the hall.

Story in the antho most looking forward to: When Friendship Becomes More by Sophie Bonaste.

Favorite TJ or Eric novel/novella: Tell Me It's Real by TJ Klune.

Phoenix Emrys, author of Mistaken MD

What it's about: Soul searching, a stethoscope, romantic epiphanies, mistaken identity, and love at first sight in a dog park.

Story in the antho most looking forward to: The Jogger KC Burn.

Favorite TJ or Eric novel/novella: Bear, Otter and the Kid!

Rhys Ford, author of Cops and Comix

What it's about: A comic book store owner finds a dead body in his shop and love with the LAPD detective investigating the murder.

Story in the antho most looking forward to: Oh man. Not even going there! Are you kidding? So many cool authors! I want to read all of them.

Favorite TJ or Eric novel/novella: Oh wow. Bear, Otter, and the Kid for TJ. And The Mingled Destinies of Crocodiles and Men for Eric. Love both of them.

LE Franks, author of Last First Kiss

What it's about: Last First Kiss is the story of love found and friendship recovered in the wake of a tragedy 10 years after Jeremiah sees a kiss that tears him and his two best friends apart.

Story in the antho most looking forward to: I have to admit that I can't wait to read Mary Calmes' story, For Dear Life, though it's hard to pick just one from this wonderful list of authors.

Favorite TJ or Eric novel/novella: I'm a big fan of both TJ's & Eric's books — but the one novel that surprised me and drew me in was TJ Klune's Into This River I Drown. Loved it.

John Goode, author of Tomorrow

What it's about: About two guys who have been putting off their future until tomorrow realizing that tomorrow has come.

Story in the antho most looking forward to: Sue Brown's, she is a fantastic writer and always enjoyable to read.

Favorite TJ or Eric novel/novella: Bear, Otter and the Kid.

CR Guiliano, author of From Fantasy to Friends

What it's about: This story is a small window into Graham's past where he struggles over his feelings for his old college crush, and must come to terms with the fact that he very much loves Jeremy and that his crush is in the past.

Story in the antho most looking forward to: I'm actually looking forward to them all. I am very humbled to be included with such prestigious authors.

Favorite TJ or Eric novel/novella: I originally based this story on a small part of Eric Arvin's Simple Men, and it's one of my favorites. One of my favorites by TJ Klune is Bear, Otter, and the Kid.

Dawn Kimberly Johnson, author of Witness Protected

What it's about: Witness Protected is about two very different men falling for each other after being forced into close quarters for two months.

Story in the antho most looking forward to: Probably Last First Kiss, though the title An Atheist and a Yoga Instructor Walk into a Bar intrigues me.

Favorite TJ or Eric novel/novella: I was deeply affected by Into This River I Drown. There was a lot of weeping, a lot of wonder, and a lot of beauty. So that's my pick.

Mia Kerick, author of Water Under the Bridge

What it's about: Water Under the Bridge, a sequel to Not Broken, Just Bent, is a slice of real life that Timmy and Ben share as they journey through life's hardships and finally reconnect with one another in an intense physical manner.

Story in the antho most looking forward to: I look forward to For Dear Life by Mary Calmes and A Gentle Touch of Human Kindness by Amy Lane, as they are two of my favorite authors.

Favorite TJ or Eric novel/novella: I am crazy about TJ Klune's Into This River I Drown. I consider it to be a work of literary art.

Amy Lane, author of A Gentle Shove of Human Kindness

What it's about: How it really doesn't take much to be kind to someone and to make a difference.

Story in the antho most looking forward to: Mary Calmes' story, and Rhys Ford's as well!

Favorite TJ or Eric novel/novella: *Hides head in shame* I have them all on my Kindle, just waiting for their moment!

Garrett Leigh, author of Air (Roads #1.75 million)

What it's about: Air is a glimpse into the mind of a secondary character who proved more popular than I ever dreamed.

Story in the antho most looking forward to: So many to choose from, but probably the Amy Lane one.

Favorite TJ or Eric novel/novella: She's Come Undone. I felt a very strong affinity to the woman throwing bricks. :)

Rowan McAllister, author of An Atheist and a Yoga Instructor Walk into a Bar

What it's about: Love and faith only have limits if you decide to put them there, and sometimes it's worth it to suspend disbelief.

Story in the antho most looking forward to: I'm most looking forward to reading For Dear Life by Mary Calmes, because I love Mary Calmes.

Favorite TJ or Eric novel/novella: I have a stack to read yet, but I'd have to say Kid Christmas Rides Again by Eric is my favorite so far, because it's a romp from beginning to end, and I'm all about Christmas and romping.

Moria McCain, author of Stalking 101

What it's about: Watch Rabbit turn from prey to predator as he pursues his dream man.

Story in the antho most looking forward to: I have to pick one? I'm looking forward to reading all of them!

Favorite TJ or Eric novel/novella: Favorite TJ novel is Bear, Otter and the Kid. Favorite Eric novel is Kid Christmas Rides Again!

Tempeste O'Riley, author of Simple Desires

What it's about: When James Bryant and Seth Burns head to Kenosha College to meet with Kenneth and Dane about their gay sports program, Hearts Goals, James's endurance is tested by a hellion driving a golf cart and a crazy bird.

Story in the antho most looking forward to: Oh, now that's a hard one. There are so many great authors in this anthology ... If I have to pick only one, it would be The Exhibition by Andrea Speed. I just did a reread of Andrea's Infected series and this short is a tie-in!

Favorite TJ or Eric novel/novella: That would be a toss-up between Simple Men and Galley Proof by Eric. All their stories are wonderful, but those two resonated with me and are ones I reread from time to time.

Zahra Owens, author of Object of Care

What it's about: Gable and Flynn (of Clouds and Rain) find they have a house guest in the form of a cat Noah smuggled into the house, but the cat has another owner.

Story in the antho most looking forward to: Cops and Comix by Rhys Ford

Favorite TJ or Eric novel/novella: Woke Up in a Strange Place.

Jaime Samms, author of Fall Train

What it's about: Getting lost and finding the soul that will always be home for you, no matter how far away you get, which seemed appropriate for this project.

Story in the antho most looking forward to: Mary Calmes' story, partly because I've never met a Mary Calmes story I didn't like, and partly because the premise is just right for me.

Favorite TJ or Eric novel/novella: I'm in the middle of Slight Details and Random Events by Eric. His scope is pretty incredible. Even if all the stories aren't a sub-genre I'd normally pick up, I haven't found one yet that hasn't had some nugget of fascination for me. The man has some very funky ideas and isn't afraid to show them off, and that bravery itself is inspiring to me.

Andrea Speed, author of The Exhibition

What it's about: My story is about an artist and his smart-ass husband going to an art exhibition.

Story in the antho most looking forward to: An Atheist and a Yoga Instructor Walk into a Bar by Rowan McAllister, just for the title alone.

Favorite TJ or Eric novel/novella: Hmm ... difficult, but maybe Woke Up In A Strange Place by Eric.

Tinnean, author of What You Will

What it's about: Same-sex marriage has become legal throughout the country, and to celebrate his eight-month anniversary with his young husband, Hyde Wyndham determines to have a formal photograph taken of them.

Story in the antho most looking forward to: Seriously? I'm in this anthology with amazing authors. I'm looking forward to reading them all!

Favorite TJ or Eric novel/novella: My favorite TJ novel is Bear, Otter, and the Kid. I can get behind guys raising kids every time. My favorite of Eric's is Another Enchanted April. I read this up in NY while visiting family, and until I finished it, there wasn't much visiting.

Brandon Witt, author of Prologue

What it's about: Prologue is a folklore about where stories come from and who watches over authors.

Story in the antho most looking forward to: An Unexpected Thing by John Amory, it's a sequel to his short story Protection — I can't wait to see what happens!

Favorite TJ or Eric novel/novella: It's so hard to choose. Woke Up in a Strange Place by Eric was quite literally life-changing for me. Into This River I Drown by TJ was an exquisite mixture of beauty and pain.

Jessie Potts, also known as Book Taster, adores books in all forms. She also does reviews for Bitten by Books and RT Book Reviews and is an intern at Entangled Publishing. You can follow her on Twitter (@BookTaster).



No comments:

Post a Comment