Thursday, April 10, 2014

Mary Burton, Cat Johnson, Lynn LaFleur Share Their Keeper Books

(from usatoday.com
by Joyce Lamb)


(photo Kensignton)


oday's featured authors: Mary Burton, author of You're Not Safe; Cat Johnson, author of Three Weeks With a Bull Rider; and Lynn LaFleur, author of Smokin' Hot. We're talking keeper shelves, and favorite authors include lots of initials, such as SEP, J.D. and J.R.

Mary Burton, author of You're Not Safe

What's on my keeper shelf?

Well, I'll go real retro for my first pick, which is Kathleen E. Woodiwiss' The Flame and the Flower. This book swept me away with its larger-than-life characters Brandon and Heather.

Nora Robert' Hidden Riches was my first romantic suspense and I fell in love with the book and the genre. I knew someday I'd be a writer and I'd write romantic suspense.

Loved Julie Garwood's Honor's Splendour. Kept me up way past my bedtime!

Most recently, one of my favorite's is Lisa Kleypas' Blue-Eyed Devil, which had great characters that kept me turning the pages. So many great books and I could go on forever.

Here's the blurb for You're Not Safe:

He will never forget.

The broken body hanging from a tree in Texas Hill Country…the frozen figure huddled in a meat locker…only at second glance does the truth become apparent. What seems like suicide is far more sinister, and the terror is only beginning...

Never forgive.

One devastating moment changed Greer Templeton's life and ended two others. Now, with a body found on her property and Texas Ranger Tec Bragg on her doorstep, Greer's nightmare has returned. With each new victim, her link to Tec's case grows, and soon it will be too late to run.

And never let them live …

Greer hoped the past was behind her, but an obsessed killer has never forgotten the bond that unites them. One by one, he will track down his victims, finish what was started—and make Greer's dying wish come true…

Find out more at maryburton.com.

"Three Weeks With a Bull Rider" by Cat Johnson.(Photo: Kensington)


Cat Johnson, author of Three Weeks With a Bull Rider

Looking at my shelves, it's pretty obvious I'm a series reader. My keeper shelf is dominated by three authors and their series. J.D. Robb's In Death books are keepers because, seriously, who doesn't love Roarke? I could read over and over the one where Eve discovers Roarke is really a softy and has been secretly carrying around the lost button from her suit in his pocket.

Suzanne Brockmann's Troubleshooters are on my shelf because she's one of the authors who made me try my hand at writing contemporary romance back in 2006.

Finally, there's Lori Foster. Her When You Dare is the first book that made me love her and now I can't get enough of all her alpha male heroes. In fact, I'm reading the reissue of Foster's Jamie right now.

Here's the blurb for Three Weeks With a Bull Rider (Oklahoma Nights):

One broken man …

Cowboy Jace Mills has suffered fewer injuries from bucking bulls than he has from his ex-girlfriend. Following his best friend Tucker's advice, Jace is convinced it's time to move on. But with his ex's tight rein on him, easier said than done.

One broken heart …

Tara Jenkins learned a lot in her sports medicine courses, but not how to fix her broken heart. So when her brother Tucker suggests using her skills on the rodeo, it gives her the perfect opportunity to ride off into the sunset—or at least run away.

Three weeks together …

Only problem is, Jace and Tara have had a hate-hate relationship for over a decade, putting up with each other for Tucker's sake. With their long history as frenemies, they know sparks will fly now that they're on the same circuit, they just never expect them to flare into scorching passion…

Find out more at catjohnson.net.

"Smokin' Hot" by Lynn LaFleur.(Photo: Kensington)


Lynn LaFleur, author of Smokin' Hot

My all-time favorite book is It Had To Be You by Susan Elizabeth Phillips. I'm a huge football fan, so this book hooked me right away with its football theme. Ms. Phillips' humor is always a treat to read. And the poodle, Pooh, was a wonderful secondary character.

I remember the first time I read Sweet Memories by LaVyrle Spencer. I reread it again almost immediately, and have reread it several times over the years. The story of a shy woman opening up and learning to love is so touching. And talk about a hero! He's patient and loving and absolutely amazing.

For my third keeper book, I have to pick the entire Black Dagger Brotherhood vampire series by J.R. Ward as it's impossible to pick only one book. Ms. Ward's writing grabbed me by the throat and dragged me into her world, and I'm thankful it did. Action, adventure, heroes and villains, hot sex, tender moments between people deeply in love … the series has everything a reader could want.

Here's the blurb for Smokin' Hot:

Deep in the heart of Texas, the firefighters are hotter, sexier, and totally out of control…

Singe

Stephen is an adrenaline junkie. And then he meets Julia and her sexy curves. He's on fire with the need for her, a Texas-sized blaze that jumps from one to five alarms the moment their lips touch…

Smolder

Marcus lost everything—his wife, his family, his business. Then nearly his life fighting fires. But out of the ashes he found something that never stopped burning. And this time he won't let go…

Spark

Friends Talia and Dylan have been putting out fires as long as they've been in denial about their feelings. But one night everything changes, a fire's lit, and it's too hot to ever go out…

Find out more at www.lynnlafleur.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment