(from USA Today
by Joyce Lamb)
Happy New Year! 2014 kicks off a whole new year of new books to look forward to. So HEA checked in with our favorite romance authors to find out what's on their TBR list … (Check back tomorrow for even more of authors' picks.)
ALLISON BRENNAN, author of Notorious (March)
• Laura Griffin's Far Gone. I love Laura's Tracers series, and I'm so excited about her hardcover debut, a stand-alone romantic thriller.
• Darynda Jones' Charley Davidson is one of my favorite series. It's sexy, fun, and witty. I love her style. Sixth Grave on the Edge — comes out in May. I can hardly wait!
• I'm finally all caught up with the J.D. Robb series ... and am impatiently waiting for Concealed in Death.
Other books I've pre-ordered: Kendra Elliot's romantic suspense Alone; Lisa Gardner's thriller Fear Nothing; and Barbara O'Neal's latest, The All You Can Dream Buffet.
SERENA BELL, author of Still So Hot!
• Just One Night by Lauren Layne (March). I couldn't put down the first two books in the Stiletto series — that perfect cocktail of funny, sweet, and sizzling.
• Waiting on You by Kristan Higgins (March). Reading Higgins' first two Blue Heron books, I fell in love with her entire ensemble of hilarious, spunky characters.
• Written in My Own Heart's Blood by Diana Gabaldon (June). I devoured the first seven Outlander books in rapid succession and have been tapping my toe impatiently ever since.
JENNIFER ESTEP, author of The Spider
• It Happened One Wedding by Julie James. This looks like another fun, sexy contemporary romance in James's FBI/US Attorney series.
• Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge. A twist on the Beauty and the Beast fairy tale where Beauty has been trained to kill the Beast? Count me in.
• The Shadow Throne by Jennifer A. Nielsen. Can Jaron save his kingdom? Readers will find out in the conclusion to the Ascendance Trilogy.
TRACIE BANISTER, author of In Need of Therapy
• The One by Kiera Cass (May). The stakes are high in the final book of this compelling series that has a love triangle at its heart. Prince Maxon has to choose a bride on live TV. America has to choose between her first love, Aspen, and her growing attachment to the handsome, troubled prince.
• Cure for the Common Breakup by Beth Kendrick (May). A quaint, little town filled with eccentric characters, opposites attracting, lots of humor and romance ... Sounds like the perfect beach or pool read. Heck, the heroine's name is even Summer!
• The Mark of the Midnight Manzanilla by Lauren Willig (August). This will be the last book of the Pink Carnation series, which I've been an ardent fan of for years. It's the most amazing hybrid of historical romance, chick lit, and spy/adventure novel. I can't wait to see how the author wraps things up.
Honorable mentions: Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge (January), Sixth Grave on the Edge by Darynda Jones (May), The Sweet Spot by Stephanie Evanovich (July).
ALLIE HAWKINS, aka BARBARA PLUM, author of Presumed Guilty and Unraveled
• Concealed in Death by J.D. Robb. Eve Dallas and husband Roarke have hit a few relationship bumps recently, but I'm betting the romance continues to sizzle. Throw in the twist of a series of gruesome murders committed in the distant past of 2040, and what's not to look forward to? Coming in February, so I have to wait.
• Carolina Man by Virginia Kantra. Nobody does small-town Southern (for me) like Virginia Kantra. She also some of the best love scenes and dialogue around. Carolina Man is the third in a series and is also about second chances. Pub date, March.
LISA CARLISLE, author of Gargoyle's Embrace
• Witches of East End by Melissa de la Cruz. I love watching the show with my daughter. Now I have to read the book, which I'm sure I'll enjoy even more.
• Fury by Laurann Dohner. The sample drew me in and I can't wait to read more.
• A Beautiful Wedding by Jamie McGuire. I couldn't put down the first two books, losing sleep as I wanted to find out what happened next.
JANICE MAYNARD, author of Beneath the Stetson
I have sworn to myself to make more time for reading in 2014! And I'm so happy that two of my favorite authors have books coming out in the first half of the year:
• Lori Foster's Dash of Peril.
• And Sarah Morgan's Suddenly Last Summer.
Yum! :) Can't wait to dig into each of those!!
BECKY LOWER, author of The Tempestuous Debutante
I'm looking forward to reading The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty.