Wednesday, February 19, 2014

12 YA Fantasy Book Finales You Need to Read This Year

(from huffingtonpost.com
by Lisa Parkin)


The young adult genre has a chronic problem: creating sequels. Every fantasy series has at least one -- if not two or three -- books.

Not that I'm complaining. I'm hooked on countless series, which has become my own personal to-be-read pile challenge. Keeping track of all the sequels -- especially the final books in a series -- and when they will be published feels like a full-time job.

So, I did some of the tough work for you and sorted through my most-anticipated YA fantasy end-of-series releases for the year. If this accidentally adds to your TBR pile, I'm not sorry.

Plus, you lucky readers just starting these series are saved the torture of waiting years to finish all the books. Ugh, so jealous.


The Retribution of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

Why I Stuck With It: The series offers top quality psychological thrills and suspense. As the books progress, more and more of Mara's life unravels, revealing dark, mysterious depths. I was left guessing and surprised time and again. An overall fantastic series.

On Goodreads: HERE
Pub Date: November 4, 2014
Previous Books: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, The Evolution of Mara Dyer



Ignite Me by Tahereh Mafi

Why I Stuck With It: The Shatter Me series has a writing style unlike any other I've ever seen. Words are crossed out, and the story is often conveyed in a stream of consciousness form. Even though the writing changes as the storyline is developed, the beautiful lyrical language was present in each book and adds so much the novels.

On Goodreads: HERE
Pub Date: February 4, 2014
Previous Books: Shatter Me, Unravel Me



Into the Still Blue by Veronica Rossi

Why I Stuck With It: With a solid blend of fantasy and science fiction, these books hooked me immediately. I loved how magic and science were mixed to create an unusual combination of futuristic and primal elements. Plus, the romance is to die for. The Under the Never Sky series is perfect for those looking for a unique take on YA fantasy.

On Goodreads: HERE
Pub Date: January 28, 2014
Previous Books: Under the Never Sky, Through the Ever Night



Ruin and Rising by Leigh Bardugo

Why I Stuck With It: I cannot say enough about the Grisha series. It is high fantasy at its best. Sometimes sequels can fall into a "sophomore slump," but if anything, these books have gotten more intense and more exciting. Ruin and Rising is definitely my most-anticipated read of the year. Bring it on!

On Goodreads: HERE
Pub Date: June 17, 2014
Previous Books: Shadow and Bone, Siege and Storm



Graduation Day by Joelle Charbonneau

Why I Stuck With It: Dystopias are still a popular staple in the YA fantasy world. While some fall into the "been there, done that" category, The Testing books have that little something extra that sets them apart from the rest. The books have a highly political and strategic feel and are spiced with betrayals and sabotage surprises.

On Goodreads: HERE
Pub Date: June 17, 2014
Previous Books: The Testing, Independent Study



Raging Star by Moira Young

Why I Stuck With It: This series, oh this series. What to do with you? The Dust Land books are full of characters that readers will both love and hate. Because they make crazy decisions and rip your heart out and... I digress. Just know feels will happen while reading these books.

On Goodreads: HERE
Pub Date: May 13, 2014
Previous Books: Blood Red Road, Rebel Heart



The One by Kiera Cass

Why I Stuck With It: If you like a good love triangle and are a fan of The Bachelor, then The Selection series was written for you. Team Maxon or Team Aspen? I'm not sure anymore, but I am more than ready to find out. You absolutely will not be able to put down these books once you've started.

On Goodreads: HERE
Pub Date: May 6, 2014
Previous Books: The Selection, The Elite



Infinite by Jodi Meadows

Why I Stuck With It: These books are beautiful. They tackle interesting concepts (reincarnation) in new ways that kept me thinking and puzzling. Every book added to the mystery of the story. There's certainly nothing else like it.

On Goodreads: HERE
Pub Date: January 28, 2014
Previous Books: Incarnate, Asunder



Mortal Heart by Robin LaFevers

Why I Stuck With It: Each of the His Fair Assassin novels lets a new heroine tell the story in the dark, medieval world of St. Mortain. I loved this idea because every book built on the last while adding new adventures and romances. And as a bonus, every heroine is more kick-ass then the last.

On Goodreads: HERE
Pub Date: November 4, 2014
Previous Books: Grave Mercy, Dark Triumph



Unmade by Sarah Rees Brennan

Why I Stuck With It: What do you get when you combine a sassy high school journalist with a quiet English town and a magical unrest? This amazing series full of laughs and fun. It's highly addicting. You've been warned.

On Goodreads: HERE
Pub Date: September 23, 2014
Previous Books: Unspoken, Untold



Sister's Fate by Jessica Spotswood

Why I Stuck With It: If you're anything like me, these books will have you literally gasping for air. Between startling revelations and witchy mischief, the Cahill Witch Chronicles will satisfy your historical fantasy fix.

On Goodreads: HERE
Pub Date: August 14, 2014
Previous Books: Born Wicked, Star Cursed



Split Second by Kasie West

Why I Stuck With It: These books were told in the most interesting and unique way -- like a new take on a choose your own adventure story. Plus, there's only two books in this series! You'll wish there were more though. Both novels were amazing.

On Goodreads: HERE
Pub Date: February 11, 2014
Previous Book: Pivot Point

What YA fantasy sequels are you dying to read this year?

Follow Lisa Parkin on Twitter: www.twitter.com/LisaMParkin

No comments:

Post a Comment