Sunday, December 1, 2013

Review of "When It Happens To You" By Molly Ringwald

This was a tough book to review for me. First, I am not sure I would have picked it up if it was written by someone else. But the title was interesting and the idea of a few short stories interconnected sounded good too. It was not bad, but it was not what I expected.

The book centers on a woman, Greta, who's husband has betrayed her. And the connecting stories involve Greta at different passages of time. The stories also involve, you do not know what at first, until it is connected back to Greta in some way. Or to Greta's husband Phillip. Or even to their daughter Charlotte.

My favorite story was "My Olivia" and I really wish Ringwald would have spent more time on this. In fact, if developed properly, it could be a book all on its own.

My other favorite, to where I teared up, was "When It Happens To You". This was the greatest chapter as far as feelings and insight. It was so full of raw emotion, I wanted to reach out and console this fictional character and tell her everything was going to be okay.

I believe the book just ended flat. I do not know what I was expecting, but I just felt like there should have been more.

As far as the book as a whole, there are many unanswered questions, many undeveloped characters, and many things missing for me. I had a rough time reading this. And I have had rough times reading some books, but when you cannot wait to get to the end, just so it is over, as opposed to because you cannot wait and are excited to see what is around the corner, it is not a lot of fun.

Again it was not a horrible book. Just not one of my favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment