Sunday, December 1, 2013

Christmas Fun - December 1

I have decided since it is December 1, to do something new, fun, and holiday and book related for each day of December. I am not going to do the same theme everyday, but it will be a review of a holiday book, or arts and crafts about books, or a holiday book that I would like to read.

Today I am choosing crafts.

It is kind of ironic, but the book I am taking this from I won here on goodreads.com. It is called Instacraft and it was written by Alison Caporimo and photographed by Meera Lee Patel.

Today we are making BRICK BOOKENDS

(I thought this introduction was cute so I wanted to post it. Plus it applies to me too!). Books hide out like dust bunnies in my house. Whenever I think they are all on the bookshelf, I find one under the bed and another in a forgotten tote bag--I swear they have minds of their own. To group your precious reads together, camouflage old bricks and use them as sneaky props to keep wild reads from getting away from you.

MATERIALS

Two bricks
acrylic paints
fine-point paint pens

DIRECTIONS

Wash bricks with water
Once dry, coat one edge with acrylic paint
Use paint pen to write out book title
Let dry

TIPS

The more battered the brick, the better! Nicks and bumps supply a great textured canvas for the paint and make for vintage-looking spines.

Okay this is me now. I wish I had a picture of this they are really great looking. She chose for her picture to use the books Moby Dick and Lolita. They look fabulous. I think I may go brick hunting. Obviously the more book shaped the brick is, the better. I mean feel free to get a round brick! But I do not know if that would work. I am so excited I may do this project. And imagine what an original gift it would be for the book lover in your life for the holidays. Or that hard to buy for person. Who hopefully likes books.

I would love to hear how you do with this task if you try it. You can always buy the book for $16.95. It is worth it. There are so many cute and easy things to make. Well I did my review on Instacraft you can read about the projects there.

I found a picture. Alison used a nice grayish brick and wrote to the side of the book like I am going to demonstrate so you have an idea what she is talking about. These people used red bricks but the idea is the same


Here is another great example:


So enjoy and come by tomorrow for the next holiday book treat!

5 comments:

  1. These are super cute! Great idea for bookends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's cute! And it looks pretty easy, even for somebody like me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liz I didn't know you were reading my blog. Yes I just about fell over when I saw them. So easy and great idea for bookends because they have to be heavy. Miss you! I was just looking at pics of you and the whole family before. I have to comment :) You look great doll. Miss our craft days. BIG HUGS!! I hope to see you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. catskillblogger - hi hun! Yeah that is why I started with an easy one. I have to tell you there are a lot of projects for books and crafts which I will post after the holidays. I was not going to but I do have (shhh!) another craft project tomorrow I couldn't help it. It looks really hard but she says it is easy. You will see. I just want to have fun and post something to do, like I said, with Christmas and books. So wish me luck it is not easy! Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ps-to both of you, I was so happy when I found those pictures. I kept thinking no one is going to want to get a brick and decorate it lol!! So I am glad that I found those two pictures. It always helps to see what the final product looks like.

    ReplyDelete