Thursday, February 13, 2014

Romance Authors Share Their Top 3 Favorite Sweets HAPPY EVER AFTER

(from usatoday.com
by Jessie Potts)


On this Valentine's Day, I asked some of our favorite authors what their favorite candy is (and I let them pick only three!). Here's what they wish their sweeties would give them:

Kresley Cole, author of Dark Skye (August)

Snickers

Snickers Minis (in sufficient quantities!)

Snickers new giant — drag back into lair and do not come out short of fire — 1-pound bar. Snickers is the perfect food for any occasion.

Jay Kristoff, author of Kinslayer

Jelly Babies

Sherbies (you won't have them in the states, which should make you weep tears of blood)

Mint Leaves

Mary Calmes, author of Floodgates (March)

I try to never have a lot of chocolate in the house because if I do I'll eat

it before my oatmeal:

Ghirardelli Mint Bars

Macadamia Nut Kisses

All Ghirardelli bars

Beth Revis, author of Dead Man's Hand (May)

Kinder Surprise Eggs (because I am a kid at heart and love the toys inside)

Lindt Chocolate Truffles (put them in the freezer and drop them in coffee or eat them straight — divine!)

Liquid Truffles from French Broad Chocolate Lounge (it's like drinking heaven)

Amy Lane, author of Shiny

Peanut butter and chocolate

Salty and Sweet

Dark and Bright

Opposites attract, nom!

J.K. Hogan, author of I Survived Seattle (March)

Hmm ... I have pretty weird candy choices:

Haribo Gummi-Bears (has to be that brand)

Andes mints

5th Avenue candy bars

Tara Lain, author of Wolf in Gucci Loafers (April)

Dubble Bubble chewing gum (Does bubble gum count as candy?)

Chocolate-covered Nougat with nuts

Dark chocolate-covered raisins from Trader Joe's

Thea Harrison, author of The Gift of Happiness

Chocolove Toffee & Almonds in Milk Chocolate

Chocolove Almonds & Sea Salt in Dark Chocolate (love that touch of sea salt!)

Gorgeous handmade chocolates from Chocolatier Blue www.chocolatierblue.com — they're expensive, but beautiful and wonderful for a special treat!

Shelly Laurenston, author of Bite Me (March 2014)

For eating from a box like a decadent ruler surveying her empire: See's Dark Nougat.

For baking purposes (for a rich dark chocolate ganache or chocolate chunks in my killer chocolate-chip cookies): Sirius 70% from Iceland and Leonidas 70% from Belgium. And, yes, I included the cacao percentage because this is chocolate we're talking about, people. Not some run-of-the-mill treat.

CHOCOLATE. The gods gave us that and fire ... we really don't need much else for true survival.

Sophie Jordan, author of Uninvited

Peanut Butter cups

Snickers

Rolos

Vivian Arend, author of Rocky Ride

Dutch licorice. The saltier, the better. And, no, you can't have any of mine. It's an acquired taste, and watching people who insist they want to try one then spit it out is too sad to suffer through anymore!

Sour soothers/gummies. Pucker power FTW!

See's Peanut Brittle. *looks for my lovely reader friend who brought me a box during RT*

Elisabeth Staab, author of Hunter by Night (June)

(I try to pretend like I'm flirting with healthy when I eat chocolate.)

Dark chocolate-dipped strawberries from the Godiva store

Scharffen Berger Extra Dark — it's a delightfully bittersweet, high-cacao-content chocolate bar

Pretty much any chocolate paired with peanut butter, because peanut butter is my personal Kryptonite.

Gennifer Albin, author of Teaching Roman

Basically, if there is chocolate involved, I'm happy, but if I have to choose, I would say chocolate caramels (the chewy kind)

Chocolate ice cream (rich and dark, please)

Chocolate-covered pretzels (my go-to snack for flights)

Andrew Grey, author of One Good Deed

Caramel with dark chocolate

Dark chocolate coconut clusters

Chocolate-covered pretzels

Eve Langlais, author of Freakn' Cougar

My top three treats (the kind that will get your hand slapped if you try to steal any):

Raffaello Confections (love the coconut flavor)

Turtles (caramel, chocolate and a crunch)

Liquorice Allsorts (mmmm for black licorice)

Gerry Bartlett, author of Real Vampires Know Size Matters

Mounds: I love the dark chocolate with the coconut.

Candied fruit: The kind that looks like fruit slices.

And I go insane if someone gives me one of those old-fashioned boxes of chocolates that has everything labeled and you can pick and choose as you work your way through the layers.

Kindle Alexander, author of Always (March)

Lindt, hands down. Sea Salt or Hazelnut Truffles, OMG. Reason I'm overweight.

The Sweet Shop USA. Love the cashew brags or anything milk chocolate praline.

Willy Wonka, because Johnny Depp is so hot!


Jessie Potts, also known as Book Taster, adores books in all forms. She also does reviews for Bitten by Books and RT Book Reviews and is an intern at Entangled Publishing. You can follow her on Twitter (@BookTaster).


*Blogger's note: NO ONE MENTIONED GODIVA!! COME ON GUYS!! I am ashamed. (shakes head)

10 comments:

  1. My hubby gets me Bruno's Chocolates from a local chocolate factory here. They are awesome! Especially their chocolate covered cherries. You can watch the ladies in the back make all the candy. It is a VERY dangerous place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never heard of Bruno's Chocolates. I may have to look it up on the net. Any good chocolate I will drop whatever I am doing to check it out! lol! My favorite is Godiva. I was introduced to it by a friend of mine who had a lot of money and in 5th grade I had my first piece of Godiva. It has been love ever since! Your husband sounds very sweet. And OMG! I never had a chocolate covered cherry! How funny is that. And I am a chocoholic. I understand what you mean by a dangerous place to visit. When I go to Godiva, I go so much they know me and throw in tons of free chocolate. You spoke of watching them make the candy. I would SO love that. I forgot I think it is on the discovery channel, they have food specials and one of my favorites is the sweets. I have seen them make all kinds of chocolate but I would love to see it up close. I will get back to you on Bruno's. If they ship it out, I will be ordering some on your recommendation!

      Delete
    2. I'll send you some Chocolate covered cherries from there. You'll have to let me know how you like them. Do you prefer milk or dark chocolate?

      Delete
    3. You know it is people like you that make me have faith in the good in people. My husband is in law enforcement and sees the worst in people. I am an RN and although not working, I am a glass is half empty person and I find the good in everything. I would LOVE dark chocolate covered cherries. My mouth is watering lol! I love dark chocolate. I was going to give you my email for my address but you have it already I forgot! You are very sweet and you made my day. If I was there I would give you a big hug!

      Delete
  2. LOL. Anything for mankind. I'll pick some up tomorrow or Monday for you and get it out ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I believe in holding doors for people, smiling at people, and of course dark chocolate covered cherries could prevent war I think :) I am still reading your book. I was intrigued from the beginning. It is the book in my bed now which means it is on my top favorite list :) I hope you are having a good weekend. My route zonked out so I am on my way to Best But to knock down their door so I can get work done. I am on hubby's computer. Can't stand it. I love my old comfy laptop. It is older but it is mine. His is new and huge! Plus I can never seem to save gifs. Who knows? My mouth is watering already! You are a doll. Thank you again. I guess we won't have to worry about them melting in transit!

      Delete
    2. I can't wait! I may blog about it! lol! :) Your book is really good too. I have been reading it in between my router problems.

      Delete
    3. They can't send chocolate covered cherries (don't know why, but they can't) so you are getting an assortment to try out, all dark chocolate. Hope you enjoy. I pacing myself with one a day. It is my 'treat'. LOL.

      Delete
  3. I did not want to say anything but I thought their may be a problem. But it is fresh fruit probably why. But omg...all dark chocolate asst? You have a friend for life! btw, if you want, I think you have it and I miss some messages there but you can always get me at Chocolatemint515@aol.com. But I like getting messages on my blog, even if it is about chocolate. Maybe you can use this in a book lol! Aliens and Vampires etc must like some type of chocolate!

    ReplyDelete