Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Guest Post from author Michelle Scott

I have author Michelle Scott here today to do a guest blog for us. I am very happy to have her. I have read one of her short stories and am looking forward to reading one of her books I own. But let me tell you a little bit about Michelle first. Michelle Scott received her MFA from Wayne State University. Her stories have appeared in such places as “Tales of the Unanticipated”, “All Possible Worlds” and “Realms”. Straight To Hell, the first book in her Lilith Straight urban fantasy series, was released from Carina UK. Michelle lives in southeast Michigan with her husband and three children.


Urban Fantasy by Michelle Scott

My husband once asked me if I ever planned on writing the ‘great American novel’. I told him not unless the GAN had vampires or demons in it.

I love reading any kind of fiction, but for some reason, I’m only interested in writing urban fantasy. Urban fantasy is a genre that takes supernatural creatures and places them in a modern setting. Personally, I write about vampires and succubae in the city of Detroit (my hometown). But there are also werewolves in Washington state, vampires in Louisiana, and demons in Cincinnati. Urban fantasy isn’t horror; it’s not meant to scare its audience so much as give them a thrill.

There are other hallmarks to urban fantasy besides the monsters and magicked long swords. Usually, the hero/heroine is a demon or vampire hunter. Almost always there are witches involved. And, of course, there is a romance. I enjoy writing the romance as much as the magical fight scenes. I guess that’s because I’m as much of a lover as I am a fighter!

I’ve been writing urban fantasy for several years now, but have been reading it for much longer. I devour books by such authors as Charlaine Harris (who writes the Sookie Stackhouse novels), Patricia Briggs (whose books include werewolves and fairies), and Kim Harrison (an author whose books are set in the near future, but include vampires, fairies, and demons.)

I’m not sure why I find these books so enjoyable. I guess it’s because they are fast paced with pithy heroes/heroines. I also like the idea of the supernatural being a part of the modern world. Fantasy novels like Lord of the Rings or Game of Thrones are fun, but I like reading about modern people with modern problems. It makes me feel more connected to the story.

If you haven’t tried reading urban fantasy, I challenge you to give it a try. Who knows? You might find out that there are vampires living in your hometown!


To keep up with Lilith and the other members of the Straight To Hell cast, visit Michelle’s blog, Urban Fae. You can also find Michelle on Twitter and on her website.

Straight To Hell, the first book in the Lilith Straight series, is available at Amazon and Amazon.UK.

Also please keep checking back because Michelle is going on a little vacation and when she comes back, she is going to do an awesome giveaway! Don't miss it.

No comments:

Post a Comment