Friday, December 20, 2013

My Comics

My frequent readers know that I am a huge Neil Gaiman fan. While my ex-boyfriend was buying Superman, I was looking at Image Comics and Vertigo Comics and the like and looking at Sandman, Evil Ernie, Lady Death, and many other titles. I would have to go in my comic boxes (you collectors all know those long white boxes) to tell you what else I collected. I tended to go for the weird and strange. It was great when my comics turned out to be worth more than my boyfriends.

I had not been in a comic book store until I went to get my New York ComicCon passes in, it is all a head rush, I will say late September or early October. Besides the boyfriend breakup, in the early 90s even comic prices started getting expensive so I had stopped collecting, sadly. But once I went in to this nice sized comic book store, all the old feelings came back. And not for my boyfriend. I spent a good hour in the store looking around, talking about comics not only to the guy who worked there, but to my fellow comic book geeks. And I mean that with love. I was the only girl in the store and I am used to that.

I could have spends hundreds of dollars in there. I saw some new comics, some old comics, and some redone comics. We already paid for the passes to ComicCon, and to unfortunately, we are not rich, but my hubby was sweet enough to see how psyched I was and said I could get a few comics. LOL! Who gets "a few" comic books? He doesn't know. And I still love him.

So excluding all the tons of comics we DID wind up spending money on at ComicCon, which are bagged and boarded, and a few others I purchased the day we got the ComicCon passes, I thought I would share with you a few comics I liked and purchased. Just a side note, if I had not been reading so many books I would a. have finished my comics by now and b. remembered the names of the bagged and boarded comics!

Lenore - ah Lenore. So cool, so creepy. I loved her way back when and have some of her graphic novels so I was THRILLED to see Lenore back on the shelf.

The Walking Dead - Okay take a seat for this. I have not seen the television show. Not even once, not even a peek. But I got the comic book issue one. And it was good. I hope to continue with the series and catch up.

Spawn 20th Anniversary Edition - just because. ;)

Kick Ass Three - as a matter of fact, I just found that buried (AH! It has been exposed to air too long!) under some other comics yesterday, so I look forward to reading it.

Jennifer Blood - The name sounded cool. I got issues 1-3. It was not bad but not the best. I am deciding if I want to continue with it.

And I got a Vertigo preview issue so here are some comics I would like to check out:

100 Bullets: Brother Lono
Collider
Trillium
The Sandman Overture
The Discipline
The Unwritten Fables
Fables

I know some of those titles have been in the store since the summer but they would be new to me

So I may give reading books a break for a bit and read my comics. Especially because I am looking at them now.

Like comics? Comment and tell me which ones you are into. Some comics tell a better story than a book.

2 comments:

  1. You should give Fatale by Image Comics a try. It combines detective pulp with a Lovecraft style mythology.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never heard of that . Thank you so much. I am going to check that out. I am going back to the comic store after the holidays to pick up some more comics. If you have any other titles that you enjoy, please let me know.

      Delete