by Jocelyn McClurg)
USA TODAY's Jocelyn McClurg scopes out the hottest books on sale each week.
1. The Kill Switch by James Rollins and Grant Blackwood (William Morrow, fiction, on sale May 13)
What it's about: Rogue agent Tucker Wayne and his dog Kane must get a Russian pharmaceutical magnate out of Siberia.
The buzz: This is the first in a new Sigma Force series starring Tucker and his Iraq War dog partner Kane, who appeared in Rollins' USA TODAY best seller Bloodline.
2. The Blonde by Anna Godbersen (Weinstein, fiction, on sale May 13)
What it's about: Imagines Marilyn Monroe as a spy for the Soviet Union who must seduce a young U.S. Senator named John F. Kennedy.
The buzz: "An engaging what-if thriller and love story," says Publishers Weekly.
3. Dear Leader by Jang Jin-sung (Atria, non-fiction, on sale May 13)
What it's about: Offers a look inside the mysteries of North Korea by the former poet laureate for the late Kim Jong-il.
The buzz: Likely to fascinate anyone who's read Adam Johnson's Pulitzer-winning novel The Orphan Master's Son.
4. The Corsican Caper by Peter Mayle (Knopf, fiction, on sale May 13)
What it's about: Sleuth Sam Levitt tries to deter a tycoon who will stop at nothing to get his hands on a villa on the French Riviera.
The buzz: Mayle's P.I. wines and dines his way through southern France while solving cases, but what else would you expect from the author of A Year in Provence?
5. Bird Box by Josh Malerman (Ecco, fiction, on sale May 13)
What it's about: Apocalyptic horror story about a woman fleeing downriver in a rowboat with her two children — blindfolded.
The buzz: An Indie Next pick of independent booksellers. "Creepy, wonderful, and un-put-downable," says Lori Haggbloom of Books Inc. in San Francisco.