Friday, May 23, 2014

The Week in Pop: The Best TV, Movies, Books and More

(from usatoday.com
by Whitney Matheson)


As we close in on this holiday weekend, I'd like to share a roundup of the movies, TV shows and things that made my week special. (For music recs, read today's "Week in Music" feature.) Enjoy:

1. Gahan Wilson: Born Dead, Still Weird. This delightful doc explores the work of the macabre cartoonist and includes commentary from Stephen Colbert, Hugh Hefner, Bill Maher, Guillermo del Toro, Neil Gaiman, Stan Lee and other notables. Says Colbert: "I think (his work) meant something to me because, when I was a kid, two of my brothers and my father died. Suddenly, things that had seemed normal made no sense at all and seemed very dark." See it now on demand.

2. Weekend of a Champion. This week the 1972 Roman Polanski documentary landed on DVD — and I'd honestly never heard of it until now. In it, Polanski spends time with champion racecar driver Jackie Stewart at the Monaco Grand Prix.

3. A Night at Whiplash. This week comedy site Splitsider released a film about the weekly standup show here in New York that has featured some top-tier comedians. Grab it for just $5 over at splitsider.com, and laugh with the likes of Janeane Garofalo, Eugene Mirman and others.

4. Sing Your Face Off. The last thing the world needs is another singing competition, but this one has something the others done: Torchwood/Doctor Who alum John Barrowman. It premieres May 31 on ABC.

5. Those ads for curved TVs. While I'm not sure that I need one of Samsung's new curved screens, I do enjoy the Rian Johnson-directed ads that use classic movie clips to tell a (curved) story.

The Curve Changes Everything Film

6. CBLDF Presents: Liberty. This new hardcover compilation, which benefits the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund, includes work by Robert Kirkman, Neil Gaiman, Ed Brubaker, Jim Lee, Terry Moore, J.H. Williams III, Darwyn Cooke and on and on. Color me impressed.

7. Beneath the Harvest Sky. This dark coming-of-age tale follows two teens who promise to help each other escape their stifling small town. It features a standout performance from Aiden Gillen, aka Petyr Baelish from Game of Thrones. See it now on most on-demand platforms.

8. Michiel Huisman. Right now the actor is doing double-duty as well-intentioned, sexy Cal on Orphan Black and well-intentioned, sexy Daario on Game of Thrones. (He's also on Nashville, but since I don't watch that show, for all I know he's playing a conniving, ugly dude.)

9. Double Play. Again, I highly recommend this doc about the friendship between filmmakers Richard Linklater and James Benning. Seeing how genuine and respectful they are only makes me appreciate their work more.

10. Brandon Scott Wolf. Earlier this week I mentioned I saw Howard Kremer and Brody Stevens do standup. Wolf, a young comedian and contributor to Saturday Night Live, opened the show and made me laugh a little too loudly with a joke about having a Hawaiian friend ("he's half pineapple, half ham"). Keep an eye on this guy.

11. Everything related to Twin Peaks' Blu-ray release. I debuted a photo this week and have been devouring everything I can find about this set. As I've mentioned before, my favorite source for Peaks news is the comprehensive fan site welcometotwinpeaks.com. That gum you like is coming back in style!

No comments:

Post a Comment