Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Review of "Memoirs Aren't Fairytales - A Story of Addiction" by Marni Mann

This was such a powerful story. It is about Nicole, a 23 year old girl who becomes addicted to heroin and her journey through all the pain that goes with being an addict.

I have had addicts as friends and this is an excellent portrayal of what happens and can happen to you. With drugs you either keep using, die, or go to jail.

Nicole had so many horrible things happen to her I could not begin to list them and it was all related to the heroin.

What is amazing is, with all the horrible things that happened to her, she did not quit using. She promised herself many times and promised ones she loved but it never panned out.

There is not much else to say because I would be spoiling a lot and you really need to read this to get the full effect. There is a sequel but it is a good stand alone.

The storytelling is like no other book I have ever read. The characters are powerful, unique, and real. The pacing was perfect. The emotions ran high and could be felt in your stomach and your heart. There was so much suspense with each passing sentence it was hard to put the book down. I wanted Nicole to to get sober and be happy. I felt what her family did as they watched their little girl become someone else.

When I finished this book, there were so many emotions in me. I could not wait to read the next book. I also had to read the next book right away because I had to find out what happened to Nicole. Reading this book was like watching a really bad news story. It takes your breath away and makes you hope whoever was affected will pull through.

Nicole is stuck in my head. I feel like I know her and I want to reach out and help her.

If you have had addiction issues, I think there are triggers here so I would not read it. For the sober people, read it and take it as a warning. This is what is going on in our world today and you cannot turn a blind eye to it.

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It was like nothing I ever read. Very intense and moving. I hope you get to read it.

      Delete
  2. A bitter truth that we are facing today with such addiction. This story is close to reality and i want to read full article about such pain and journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Addiction!! Well there is need to be stay alert in all situations. We can also must appreciate the author for this www.paraphrasingonline.com/rephrase-my-essay/ work and blog too.

    ReplyDelete