by Joyceln McClurg)
USA TODAY's Jocelyn McClurg scopes out the hottest books on sale each week.
1. China Dolls by Lisa See (Random House, fiction, on sale June 3)
What it's about: Three young women become performers at the Chinese-American Forbidden City Nightclub in San Francisco before World War II.
The buzz: "A wonderful journey through love and loss," says Publishers Weekly in a starred review.
2. Mr. Mercedesby Stephen King (Scribner, fiction, on sale June 3)
What it's about: A retired detective tries to catch a madman in a stolen Mercedes who mowed down people waiting in line at a job fair.
The buzz: "This feels pretty darn fresh…(a) big, smashing climax, too," says Booklist.
3. The EveryGirl's Guide to Diet and Fitnessby Maria Menounos (Zinc Ink , non-fiction, on sale June 3)
What it's about: Subtitle: How I Lost 40 lbs and Kept It Off – And How You Can Too!
The buzz: The skinny TV personality (Chasing Maria Menounos on Oxygen) also wrote the best seller The EveryGirl's Guide to Life.
4. Those Who Wish Me Deadby Michael Koryta (Little, Brown, fiction, on sale June 3)
What it's about: A 14-year-old boy who witnessed a murder escapes into a wilderness survival program, but is still targeted by the killer Blackwell Brothers.
The buzz: Screenwriter Chuck Leavitt is adapting the novel for 20th Century Fox and producer Steve Zallian.
5. My Salinger Yearby Joanna Rakoff (Knopf, non-fiction, on sale June 3)
What it's about: Rakoff recalls the time in the 1990s when she worked for J.D. Salinger's literary agent, and penned the responses to the reclusive writer's fan mail.
The buzz: "A sharply observed coming-of-age memoir," says Kirkus Reviews.