by Jocelyn McClurg)
USA TODAY's Jocelyn McClurg scopes out the hottest books on sale each week.
1. Magnificent Vibration by Rick Springfield (Touchstone, fiction, on sale May 6)
What it's about: Debut comic novel by the singer (Jessie's Girl) about a guy having a midlife crisis who finds a way to direct-dial God.
The buzz: "Remarkably creative," says Kirkus Reviews.
2. The Closer by Mariano Rivera (Little, Brown, non-fiction, on sale May 6)
What it's about: Memoir by the retired New York Yankees pitcher often called "the greatest closer of all time."
The buzz: If Rivera's memoir gets anywhere near the love he received on his farewell tour last year, he'll be in the literary Hall of Fame.
3. The Last Kind Words Saloon by Larry McMurtry (Liveright, fiction, on sale May 7 )
What it's about: Wyatt Earp and Doc Holliday star in a new Western from the author of Lonesome Dove.
The buzz: "Classic McMurtry," says the Library Journal.
4. Stirring the Pot by Jenny McCarthy (Ballantine, non-fiction, on sale May 6)
What it's about: The View co-host offers "My Recipe for Getting What You Want Out of Life."
The buzz: McCarthy's previous books, including Baby Laughs and Louder Than Words, have been USA TODAY best sellers.
5. All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr (Scribner, fiction, on sale May 6)
What it's about: The lives of a blind girl in France and a member of the Hitler Youth assigned to track the Resistance through their radios converge during World War II.
The buzz: It's the No. 1 May Indie Next pick of independent booksellers. "Gorgeously written," says Harriet Logan of Loganberry Books in Shaker Heights, OH.