Tuesday, April 15, 2014

24 Awesome Librarian Tattoos

(from mentalfloss.com
by Jill Harness)


These are so cool. Since I have five and am going for my sixth, this was appropriate. Not to mention I did some book related tattoos last time and it got a lot of hits. I am not going to copy and paste all 24 but I will post my top five. :)

Click here to see all 24 tats!

1. Card Catalog Sleeve


Elizabeth Skene has what might be the most awesomely complete librarian sleeve around, featuring a skull sitting on top of a book, with a graduation cap next to a card catalog with a banner reading “Peace and Knowledge.” There is also an open book with pages coming out and turning into birds. Let there be no doubt here: Elizabeth loves libraries. Tattoo by Frank William of the Chicago Tattoo Company.


2. Super Librarian


Tattooed Librarians and Archivists reader Michelle is a high school librarian who wanted to get something to represent her career. She chose a superhero librarian and based the design on the old-school DC character Mary Marvel and had it inked by Chris Cockrill of Avalon II Tattoo. I think the world could use a few more super librarians, don’t you?


3. Egyptian Goddess


Just looking at this piece you’ll recognize it as a librarian tattoo, but what makes LiveJournal user Oh Chris’ tattoo by Kristen at Artisanal Tattoo really great are how many details he has hidden inside the design. For example, the hieroglyphics are phonetic transliterations for the names of his family members and the two open books have images symbolizing his favorite childhood books – The BFG and Jabberwock.


4. Voodoo Reader


Jim McClusky is a librarian in Washington, so obviously he thinks reading is pretty darn important, even if you’re only a poor little voodoo doll. Artwork by Mary J. Hoffman, tattoo by Curtis James of Anchor Tattoo.

5. There's not much more to life than books.


Anyone who reads profusely has had someone, at some point, tell them “there’s more to life than books”—but, as any fan of The Smiths can tell you, “not much more.” This wonderful Smiths-inspired design was sent to Tattooed Librarians and Archivists by a library technician and MLIS student who works at a Bay Area high school and got the piece as a 31st birthday present. The artwork was done by Dan Gilsdorf at Tattoo 13 in Oakland.

And one extra because five is my lucky number but I liked this one as a top favorite:

6. SHHHHHHH!


If there’s one thing everyone has heard from a librarian at one point or another in their childhoods, it’s “shhh.” And while some librarians try to discredit this stereotype, others embrace it—including this youth services supervisor who works in a New Jersey public library. This cute piece, submitted to Tattooed Librarians and Archivists, was done at Tattooville in Neptune, New Jersey.


*Blogger's note: Since I believe in Karma, I was going to get something in that area like a yin-yang or something with my astrological sign for my next tattoo. But because I am able to read again and have this great blog and love books so much, my next tat may be something like any of the above. By the way, I know the parlor mentioned in 6. Lots of my friends have gone their and I was thinking of going there for my next one.


No comments:

Post a Comment