Monday, December 16, 2013

Review of "The Lorax" by Dr. Seuss


Before I start my review, this is actually not the book cover I have. A few weeks ago I blogged that I had picked up some children's Christmas books from Toys R Us. Well, if I did, I do not remember reading Dr. Seuss at all. I am sure my mother will tell you another story. So I picked up "Six by Seuss". I was going to get one book but the price was better to get six in one. Six I never read. And boy am I glad I did. I feel like a kid again! No onto the Lorax.

The Lorax was so interesting. It told about a place where a boy was at. It told about the Once-ler that, if you give him certain things he will tell you the tale of the Lorax. It seems long ago there were Truffula trees. Very bright and pretty and soft. They, in grown up terms, supported a whole ecosystem including the Brown Bar-ba-loots and the Humming-Fish.

But the Once-ler chopped down one of these trees to make a Thneed! He knew everyone would want one.

From where the tree had been chopped down, the Lorax appeared and said the trees should not be chopped down. The Lorax spoke for the trees and there should be no more cut down.

But the Once-ler called his whole family and they began chopping down all the trees to make many Thneeds. The Thneeds were very popular although the Lorax could not figure out why. He just knew his trees were disappearing.

The Lorax kept warning the Once-ler to stop chopping trees. Then he just disappeared and the Once-ler was pleased. Until the day the Lorax showed up again to show the Once-ler all the damage he caused by cutting down the trees.

And soon, there were no trees left. And the damage done to the ecosystem was already done.

So the Once-ler, having waited a long time for someone to come by, gave the boy something that may help the trees come back. But you have to read the book for that.

This was such a cute story. I know they made a movie out of it and I would like to see it now.

This story really put me in a little kid, Christmasy mood. I cannot wait to read the rest. But not today.

No comments:

Post a Comment