Sunday, April 6, 2014

Maggie Shayne Joins the Ranks of Top Authors Going Indie

(from usatoday.com
by Joyce Lamb)


Photo Harlequin

There's lots of change afoot with USA TODAY and New York Times best-selling author Maggie Shayne. In February, she got married. And now she's announcing that she's going the indie route. She still has two Brown & De Luca novels coming out this fall through the traditionally published route. But her other novels, going forward, will be put out by her new company, Thunderfoot Publishing.

Here's what Maggie has to say about the move: "Over the past two years, I've re-published 15 of my early novels and six novellas whose rights reverted back to me. At the same time, I've been continuing to write and publish front list (new) titles for the largest publisher in the world. What I have learned is that I love having complete creative control over every part of my stories, from concept to completion, from title to cover art, from pricing to marketing. Even more, I enjoy having the power to change the packaging, pricing, and promo plans if they aren't working as well as I'd like. And I relish having a team entirely devoted to making my books successful. In my 22 years as an author, I've never had this much fun with my career. I'm very lucky in that I gave birth to book marketing, formatting, packaging genius Jessica Lewis of Author's Life Saver and proofreading, copy-editing, brainstorming genius Jena O'Connor of Practical Proofing. I've found a fabulous photographer, Paige Wissenbach, to shoot my cover art and Web graphics, and I have an amazing freelance line editor in mind, as well. In addition, my current agent, Eileen Fallon, will continue to handle sub-rights."

Thunderfoot, named after Maggie's 205-pound English mastiff, Dozer, will publish only Maggie's books. First up: the resurrection of Maggie's classic Wings in the Night, the series that started the vampire romance craze in 1993. A new Wings novel will be released in print and digital just in time for Halloween, with an audio edition to follow shortly thereafter.

"Best of all," Maggie says, "this new iteration of the series, which we're calling Wings in the Night: Reborn, will be created specifically so that new readers can begin here, with the new Halloween release, and not feel in any way lost."

Maggie adds, "This is the most exciting and exhilarating shift my career has taken since I sold my very first novel in August 1992. I cannot wait to see how far we can soar."

Find out more about Maggie and her books at www.maggieshayne.com. You can also connect with her on Twitter (@maggieshayne), and Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment