by Tara Block)
The first step is admitting you have a problem, and I admit — I have an addiction to reading. So using my own personal experiences, and asking a few other fellow addicts, I've compiled 50 signs that your love of books may have gotten out of hand.
Alas, if you've decided to just give in to your literary leanings, here are this month's hot new books. And don't forget to share what you're reading with us on Instagram!
Source: Getty / Peter Macdiarmid
1. You find yourself dropping character names into everyday conversation as if they're your friends.
2. You regularly say no to social engagements to read.
3. You've spent hours in a bookstore.
4. You are a member of two or more book clubs.
5. You're supertired at work because you stayed up way too late reading just one more chapter, and then another.
6. You're always making your partner or friends crazy by reading aloud lines from the book you're reading.
7. You can't wait for the weekend to have two days of uninterrupted reading time.
8. You look forward to long flights because you can get some good reading in.
9. You get more than a little defensive of your favorite authors.
10. You lug around paperback and hardcover books in your purse all day.
11. Reading causes you to miss your bus stop on a regular basis.
12. You've been late to work to finish a book.
13. You've slept on the couch to keep reading when your boyfriend wants to go to bed
14. You know the book will be better than the movie before it's out.
15. You bring books to parties.
16. You've read more books than seen movies in the last month.
17. You've sunk into a state of depression after finishing a really good book (also called a "book hangover").
18. You avoid going to lunch with co-workers so you can read while you eat instead.
19. You've ended friendships over book disagreements.
20. There are literally piles of books in every room of your house.
21. You bring home way more library books than you can actually read before they're due.
22. You spend a majority of your vacation time reading, and that includes your honeymoon.
23. You will kick someone out of book club if they don't read the book.
24. You've made your love of reading permanent.
25. Your Pinterest boards are basically a visual library.
26. You always have at least two books ready to read once you finish one.
27. You get excited when a book you love is over 1,000 pages because you know it will last longer.
28. You don't want to reread books because they won't count toward your Goodreads goal.
29. Almost every day you think at one point "I'd rather be reading."
30, You literally wear your love of reading.
31. You start to ration your reading when a book you love nears the end.
32. You email publishers asking for advance copies of books.
33. You read in the car even if you get carsick.
34. Your friends know which bookstore is your favorite because you spend so much time there.
35. You spend more time on Goodreads than Facebook.
36. You won't give up your seat on the subway because you can't read if you're standing in a packed train.
37. You put your Kindle in a Ziplock bag so you can read it in the bath/swimming pool on vacation.
38. When the ending of a book is bad, you take it really personally.
39.You know that ebooks will never replace real books.
40. Sometimes you sound like a broken record trying to convice your friends to read your favorite book.
41. Nothing beats when the books you've been dying to read are in stock at the library.
42. You will forget to eat, sleep, and breathe when you get to the climax of a book.
43. People try to tell you to "get out more." They just don't understand.
44. You have multiple editions and versions of your favorite books.
45. Your second-favorite activity after reading is organizing your bookshelves.
46, You ALWAYS have a book on you . . . just in case.
47. Reading while walking has caused some near disasters.
48. You've yelled at loved ones for bothering you while you were reading.
49. You've definitely fallen in love with characters in a book before.
50. When you complain about your arms being sore, people assume you've been working out. But you know the truth.
Click here to see the funny/cute images.
And if you are wondering, I am 36 for 50 but if situations were different I would be more. Maybe even 50/50. I am addicted to reading. I do not think with a book blog there was a question about that.