Sunday, May 18, 2014

Does The Popularity Of A Book Influence Your Decision To Buy It?

Because I have a book blog, I do a lot of lists and I look at book news and lists all day long. For sure there are some books that are on every list. And I have a few of them on my personal list but, like movies, I worry when a book is too popular. Sometimes a popular book is bad and for some reason it does well. I don't know if I trust public opinion.

When I look for a book that say I have seen on a list, I look at a lot of reviews, I also look on goodreads, and any other place I can. But sometimes I just go to the book store or Amazon and I get a feeling from the book. This is more so in the bookstore because I get to hold it an peek at it. Books talk to you I don't care what anyone says!

I put up a list before with one book I just had on a list two days ago, one book that seems to be on everyone's list, and one book I picked out in January that I wanted to read but it was not due to be released until May. But now that book that I picked is on all the lists. So what is a girl to do?

I am reading two books now I think I mentioned them to you but in case you missed it here they are (and trust me I have started a few books besides these by they have not held me)How I Got Skinny, Famous, and Fell Madly In Love by Ken Baker is a book I read an excerpt from in January in a guide for books coming out in the Spring/Summer. The excerpt was so funny I thought this book would be good. And it is. It is more for teenagers, and you all know how I feel about YA, but I do not think it falls in that category. I think it is humor all around.

The other book I am reading is Notes From Underground  by various authors. It is an anthology of short stories and you all know how much I love short stories. It was given to me by friend and author Judy Croome who has been on my blog for an interview and we keep in touch. She is a wonderful writer and a good friend.

I am also reading two tour books but they are a series. Memoirs Aren't Fairy Tales: A Story of Addiction  by Marni Mann. I literally just started it so I have no opinion yet.

So I have a Barnes & Noble gift certificate and a list of books I want and a 20 percent off coupon. Do I go with a popular book or a more obscure one? Lord knows I have plenty of books, both brought and won taking up space on my end table, floor, and double parked on the bookshelf. But I want to read a book that just came out. January's books are old news already! I kind of want to see what all the fuss is about for some books. Some of them my instinct is telling me different.

So how do you feel? How do you pick out your books? Does the fact that is on a best seller list matter? Do you read reviews before you get the book or just fly on the wind and go with your gut? I would love to know.



2 comments:

  1. Yes, the popularity of a book has influenced me to buy it and honestly, I don't think I will let that happen again. Far too often I have been disappointed when I've been caught up in the hype. In the future I'll just wait for a price drop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AhA so you are the one! lol! I understand in getting caught up. I have almost brought some books because they are on all the lists./ But then I think of the books I am reading now that are not getting read and change my mind. But my goodreads list is nuts lol! We need a group like books annon.

    ReplyDelete